Vision: To develop a pool of officials that are ‘The Best That They Can Be’ – supporting games that are Fair, Safe and Enjoyable for all participants.
Alberta Soccer’s Referee Program is committed to delivering initial and ongoing education to referees of all ages and aspirations, and providing appropriate resources for referee recruitment, retention and mentoring.
Through the Alberta Soccer Strategic Plan, the Referee Program will:
- Recruit and retain a network of referees dedicated to improving officiating standards across the province.
- Refine the referee pathway to promote district, regional and provincial referees to reach their highest potential.
- Build a comprehensive education, online education and skills development program for all referees.
- Engage the greater membership in referee development throughout all regions of the province through the RDC, DRA and
referee leadership experts.
The Referee section of the Alberta Soccer website provides comprehensive program information – use the menu above, or the following links to individual pages to navigate the site:
- Become a Referee – Outlines the steps to be taken by anyone who wishes to become a referee, with basic descriptions of the various courses that are provided
- Courses – Detailed descriptions of the various courses provided, both for new and continuing referees
- Contains a sub-menu with Course Hosting Requirements for district and club administrators around the province, and a link to a ‘How To Book a Course’ guide
- Registration – Details of the annual registration requirements and process for all referees
- Referee Pathway – An interactive image that provides a visual guide to the pathway that referees can follow – all the way from ‘Mini’ to ‘FIFA’!
- Upgrading – Details of the process and requirements for referees to enter and progress in the various upgrade programs
- Referee Development – Descriptions of the development resources available within the referee program. The Referee Development Committee, District Referee Assistant, Referee Instructor and Referee Assessor Programs are described
- Resources – Links to various program documents for the administrative needs of officials.
- Referee FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions in the Referee Program, conveniently organized into various categories.
- Ask a Referee – This is where you can send us any questions about rules of the game, referee techniques and skills, fitness, upgrading, pay rates, etc. Ask us anything about refereeing!
Many enquiries can be answered within your district, by the District Referee Assistant (DRA). For a listing of current DRAs, click here.
If you aren’t sure what your home district is – it is listed at the top of your home page in Refcentre.
General enquiries relating to referee courses, referee registration and Refcentre log-in issues should be directed to:
Programs Coordinator, Carmen Charron
Detailed enquiries relating to Referee Development Programs should be directed to:
Referee Development Officer, David O’Neill