The Canada Soccer C Licence workshop is the entry level course for the Advanced Coach Education pathway and prepares the coach to progress to the Development Stream (Children), Development Stream (Youth) or Performance Stream (Senior). The Canada Soccer C Licence involves the facilitation of learning opportunities for the coach to develop an understanding of the coaching process. Currently this workshop is being delivered online and requires that coaches reach a minimum standard of competence. Each coach will be assigned tasks to complete throughout the online workshop and will be supported by staff Coach Developers.
To be accepted into the Canada Soccer C Licence, you must be 16 years or older, a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
$495 +GST (course fee only)
The content of the Canada Soccer C Licence will be delivered live online by our Manager of Coach Education, Matt Thomas, and the Alberta Soccer Coach Developer Team. The workshop will be 16 hours long run in two hour segments over several days. Workshop tasks (assignments, session planning, check for understanding etc.) will be housed within a Google Classroom set up specifically for the workshop. Workshop registrants will receive an email a few days in advance of the workshop start date providing the Google Class code.
The Canada Soccer C Licence content involves theoretical and practical components focusing on holistic, effective coaching. The workshop covers content including:
- Vision, Mission, Values;
- Understanding the Person, the Practice & the Play;
- Mental Health and wellbeing in coaching;
- Safe Sport;
- The Coaching Process;
- Designing and delivering a training session;
- Introduction to the Principles of Play;
- Developing the individual player;
- Introduction to presentation skills;
- Introduction to the use of technology in coaching.
Coaches who complete the Canada Soccer C Licence Workshop will be designated as “In-Training”. To become “Trained” coaches will need to complete
1. Make Ethical Decisions 2. Respect In Sport Activity Leader 3. Making Headway in Soccer 4. Emergency Action Plan
NEW for 2022 – All-Female C Workshop
Hosting a Canada Soccer C Licence Workshop
If you are a district or club wishing to host please contact our Manager of Coach Education.
Coaches who successfully complete the training requirements are eligible to progress to the evaluation process if they choose. Coaches who complete all training requirements and pass the evaluation achieve certification. Evaluation is based upon:
- Practice Session – completed via live presentation
- Laws of the Game Exam (if not already completed within the workshop)
Candidates receive their results electronically. Unsuccessful candidates may apply for re-evaluation twice and full evaluation fees will apply on their second re-evaluation (if necessary).
$250 + GST (evaluation fee only)
- The candidate applies by registering for an Alberta Soccer Coach Evaluation Phase in the Locker through the Coaches Association of Canada website. Note coaches will require an NCCP number in order to register. If you do not have an NCCP number, you will need to create one first by going to www.coach.ca
- Each evaluation Phase is 3 months long. If the candidate is not confident they can carry this out within the 3 month period, they are asked to register for a later phase that will allow them to complete in this time frame.
- Candidates pay online for the evaluation fee via the Locker. The evaluation fee is $250 + GST ($262.50)
- On the first day of the evaluation block (or upon registration), the candidate will receive an email from the Alberta Soccer Manager of Coach Education within 48 hours. This email will also details the evaluation outline as well as the presentation guidelines/process.
- The candidate must send their session plan directly to their coach evaluator by email.
- Once the evaluator has received the session plan, the evaluator will contact the candidate and arrange a ‘pre-brief’ with the candidate. The pre-brief will be carried out either via a video call or phone call at an agreed time between the candidate and evaluator. It is highly recommended that candidates take the opportunity to have a pre-brief to go over their session and take feedback and make any adjustments. Once the pre-brief has taken place, the candidate will be given the go-ahead to schedule their live online session presentation.
- Immediately after the live presentation the Coach Evaluator will do a debrief with the candidate. During the debrief the candidate will learn of their next steps and discuss their action plan.
- The evaluator will email the completed observation of competency forms and action plan to the candidate and Alberta Soccer.
- If successful, Alberta Soccer will do all the necessary checks and the update the CAC Locker (C License only) and Canada Soccer. The candidate will then receive their Certificate.
Re-Testing Canada Soccer C Licence Components
After initial evaluation, coaches who require it may re-test twice. Candidates re-test only individual evaluation components they did not pass. If after two re-testing attempts a passing score has not been achieved, candidates must re-enter the program and repeat the C License course before attempting the evaluation process again. Full program fees will apply on the second set of re-tests should they be necessary.
$150 + GST
- Practical Exam: $75 +GST
- Laws of the Game: $25 +GST
- Coaching Theory Exam: $25 +GST
- Plan a Session Exam: $25 +GST
This is a non-residential program with travel and accommodation being the responsibility of the candidate.
Candidates receive their results electronically.
2021/22 Course Dates
We will be running Canada Soccer C Licence online workshops throughout 2021/22. Please ensure to review workshop dates before registering as 100% attendance is required.
Course #1 ONLINE 2021/22:
Saturdays & Sundays 10am-12pm
Nov 20, 21, 27, 28 and Dec 4, 5, 11, 12. Registration Now Closed
Course #2 ONLINE 2021/22:
Saturdays & Sundays 10am-12pm
Jan 15, 16, 22, 23, 29, 30 and Feb 5, & 6. Registration Now Closed
Course #3 ONLINE 2021/22: ALL-FEMALE WORKSHOP
Saturdays & Sundays 10am-12pm
April 9, 10, 16, 17, 23, 24, 30 & May 1 Click HERE to register
- Phase 4 Evaluation (August 1 to October 31, 2021) Registration CLOSED
- Phase 1 Evaluation (November 1 to January 31, 2022) Registration CLOSED
- Phase 2 Evaluation (February 1 to April 30th, 2022) Registration Opens January 28th, 2022
Each evaluation Phase is 3 months long. If the candidate is not confident they can carry this out within the 3 month period, they are asked to register for a later phase that will allow them to complete in this time frame.
For Evaluation Inquiries please email the Manager of Coach Education
How do I start the Evaluation Process?
To start the evaluation process the coach applies by registering for an Alberta Soccer Coach Evaluation Phase in the Locker through the Coaches Association of Canada. Pre-Requisite: Canada Soccer C Licence Trained designation
Each evaluation Phase is 3 months long and the candidate must be able to submit a session plan, attend pre-brief with an evaluator, submit the final session plan and schedule a live presentation time / de-brief within this time frame. If the candidate is not confident they can carry this out within the 3 month period, they are asked to register for a later block that will allow them to complete in this time frame.
On the first day of the evaluation block (or upon registration), the candidate will receive an email from the Alberta Soccer Manager of Coach Education within 48 hours. This email will detail the evaluation outline as well as the session submission and presentation guidelines/process.
What do I need to Submit for the Evaluation Process?
The candidate will submit the following to their assigned Coach Evaluator via email, and upload to the Alberta Soccer coach education platform.
- Upload the Session Plan and Emergency Action Plan (EAP) to the Alberta Soccer platform (One Drive folder provided by Coach Evaluator)
What are the Next Steps?
- A pre-brief will be set up with Coach Evaluator in which session plan and EAP will be reviewed. At that time a live presentation date will be set up with Coach Evaluator.
- Candidates will present their session plan live to the Coach Evaluator. After the presentation the Coach Evaluator will debrief.
- If successful, Alberta Soccer will do all the necessary checks and update the CAC Locker (C License only) and Canada Soccer. The candidate will then receive credit in their NCCP transcript.